I’ve been fortunate to have some of my work recognized with awards. What’s true in life also holds here: These efforts were rarely a solo affair and reflect the work of many.
U.S. Population Growth, an Economic Driver, Grinds to a Halt, The Wall Street Journal, 2021. Data analysis and reporting with Janet Adamy.
- Washington, DC, Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists Dateline Awards. One of five stories in a staff portfolio entry that won the Non-Breaking News category.
Where Did the Biggest PPP Loans Go? The Wall Street Journal, 2020. Contributed data analysis and editing.
- Washington, DC, Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists Dateline Awards. Winner of the Infographic category. Congrats to colleagues Yan Wu and Vivien Ngo for their visualization work.
- 2021 Gerald Loeb Award Finalist. Part of the WSJ visuals portfolio cited in the visual storytelling category.
China: Emergence of a Trade Leviathan, The Wall Street Journal, 2018. Data analysis, reporting and project management.
- Data Journalism Awards. Included in the “Wall Street Journal data and graphics” collection that made the Shortlist for Best Data Journalism Team Portfolio (Large Newsroom) and Data Journalism Website of the Year.
- New York Press Club Awards for Journalism. Included in the “WSJ Graphics Portfolio,” winner in the Infographics category.
Harvest of Change, The Des Moines Register and Gannett Digital, 2014. Producer.
- Edward R. Murrow Awards. “Harvest of Change,” the first Oculus Rift-based virtual reality project by a major news organization, received a Murrow Award for Use of Video.
- National Press Foundation Awards. Best Use of Technology in Journalism.
Behind the Bloodshed: The Untold Story of America’s Mass Killings, USA TODAY/Gannett Digital, 2013. Design, content and project management. Team with Paul Overberg, Meghan Hoyer, Jodi Upton, Juan Thomassie, Destin Frasier, et al.
- National Headliner Awards. First place, Journalistic Innovation (team).
Ghost Factories: Poison in the Ground, USA TODAY, 2012. Data analysis and programming. Team with Alison Young, et al.
- Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Awards. Silver baton.
- Associated Press Media Editors, Journalism Excellence Awards. First Place, Digital Storytelling and Reporting.
- Barlett & Steele Awards for Investigative Journalism. Silver Award.
- Casey Medal For Meritorious Journalism. Runner-up, multimedia.
- Editor & Publisher, Eppy Awards. Finalist (team), Best Investigative/Enterprise Feature on a Website with 1 million unique monthly visitors and over.
- Gerald Loeb Awards. Online winner.
- Hillman Prize for Web Journalism.
- National Academy of Sciences. Online winner, Keck Futures Initiative Communication Awards.
Investigative Reporters and Editors. IRE Service Award, 2012. For making Census 2010 data easily available to IRE member-journalists. With Paul Overberg.
Trouble on the Tray, USA TODAY, 2009. Data analysis. Team with Blake Morrison and Peter Eisler.
- Association of Food Journalists, First Place, Best Newspaper Special Food Project.
- Education Writers Association, National Awards for Education Reporting. First Prize, Investigative Reporting (Large Media)
First Year in College is the Riskiest, USA TODAY, 2006. Data analysis and reporting. With Robert Davis.
- Missouri Lifestyle Journalism Awards, First Place, Consumer Affairs.
Park Safety Rules Lax, USA TODAY, 2000. Data analysis and reporting. With Gene Sloan.
- Missouri Lifestyle Journalism Awards, Finalist, Consumer Affairs.
The School Construction Divide, USA TODAY, 1999. Data analysis and reporting. With Tamara Henry.
- Education Writers Association, National Awards for Education Reporting. Special Citation, News Feature or Issue Package
- The Association of Education Publishers, Distinguished Achievement Award Finalist
The Center for Education Reform. Excellence in Journalism Award, First Place (team), for Learning Curve I: A Yearlong Poughkeepsie Journal Project, 1997.
New York State Associated Press Association Writing Contest. First Place, Business/Finance, 1995, for Cirrus Logic.
Company: USA TODAY Enterprise All-Star Team member (1999, 2000); Employee of the Year, Poughkeepsie Journal (December 1989).